Monday, October 8, 2012

Goodbye and Hello



Since 2009, I've run a blog called Great Grandmother's Kitchen.  It's been quite a learning process, and a wonderful place to show interest in historic food, and experimenting with food from scratch.  I've run tea party ideas, book reviews, and biographies.  And I'm going to miss it.

Over the past two years, though, my life has changed.  I see more beauty and hope in the world, despite problems.  I have been diagnosed with an illness that means that most traditional Western European food does not work for me anymore, especially the home-cooking style full of sugar and flour that I'm used to(while simultaneously having less time to cook).  I've moved to the SF Bay Area,  a food paradise with some of the best restaurants, farmer's markets, ethnic cuisine, and opportunities I have ever seen.  This week I also start a new leg of my professional career; fine dining. I will be starting out as a backwaiter (a sort of jr. waiter who keeps things going smooth behind the scenes while the frontwaiter primarily deals with the guests).  This is a huge opportunity, and I'm both excited and nervous...not to mention working my way through Wine for Dummies.

I've thought long and hard about these changes, what they mean and where I'm going.  While I could try to pull GG's Kitchen in a new direction, it makes more sense to have a fresh start.  I look forward to talking about new discoveries, the old food things I have time for around work (like the leaf lard sitting in my freezer waiting to be rendered), and my growth as I move into modern cuisine.  I hope you join me on the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment