Saturday, October 20, 2012

First Week Down

...celebrated by a huge sigh of relief, and still being in my sleepwear at one in the afternoon. 

Oh, my word.  This might just be the most challenging job I have ever dreamed of, much less done.  Worth it, though?  Yes.  In spades.  No spoilers or leaks for the menu at my restaurant, but it wishes to become the premiere seafood destination for the Bay Area and earn a Michelin Star in the first year.  Do I think it can?  Yes...I do.  The quality we're talking about is breathtaking, and if some of my colleagues are an indication, the service should match. 

Biggest worry?  Memorizing.  Just got the tasting menu in last night.  An entire set menu on top of everything a la cart I was already working on...I'm beat.  It's a lot to learn, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.  I want 100% on the test at the end of next week so badly I can almost taste it.  Even dreaming the menu last night; woke up explaining to an imaginary audience what vadouvan is!

Goal for now though is  to practice describing things so I don't catch or stutter trying to recall. Children make excellent guinea pigs--want to learn how to hold someone's attention?  Explain a dish in a way that makes a first grader want to try caviar.  I dare you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment